How does the Service Reminder System* work on the Audi A4 B8?
- Well fist you have to know that based on the market that your car was build for, and the options of its previous owner, your Audi should be on:
- a fixed service interval, milage and time based plan
- or a flexible Audi Long Life Service plan
*We are only talking about engine oil and filters. Not timing belts, transmission & brake fluids and so on.
For those please check the owners manual or model specific servicing documentation.
The fixed service intervals, milage and time based plan
- this is the most common service plan.
- a service will be required usually at 10,000 miles or 1 year. Whichever occurs first.
The flexible Audi Long Life Service plan
- this type of servicing is possible only if you are using Audi Recommended Long Life Engine oils.
- there are no fixed service intervals.
- depending on how you drive your Audi, a service will be required anywhere between 10,000 miles or 1 year, up to a maximum of 20,000 miles or 2 years.
- the engine has built-in sensors that will monitor the oil quality, making it possible to enjoy longer service intervals.
When do I do my oil change ?
- Because my car is out of warranty and because I am a bit crazy I do the oil change every 6300 miles (10.000Km).
Next oil change vs Next Inspection ?
- Next oil change
- Next Inspection
- In the Car Service Interval Display you will find 2 distinct values.
Audi has implemented this system so that you can do the oil change outside of the dealership, but for major inspection you have to go to them so that they will reset the Reminder.
- Next oil change reminder can be reset from the car menu.
- Next Inspection has to be reset with a diagnostic tool.
How do you do the SRI Reset ?
- From the Car Service Interval display, you scroll down and click Reset Oil Change Interval**.
** You are resetting only the oil change interval. The Inspection interval will not change.
- With VCDS you can Reset or set a custom Interval for bought Oil Change and Inspection Intervals (see the video below).
If you don’t have access to a VCDS on a day to day basis you could go to someone that has it and
- set the oil change interval to 6300mi(100x100km) / 365days.
- set the inspection interval to 63000mi(1000x100km) / 950days.
- after this you will only have to reset the oil interval.
*** this is an example for someone that wants to have 6300mi(10.000km) oil change reminders. Adjust values for your desired interval.